Friday, February 10, 2012

Insanity/Clean Eating - Day 40!!!!!!

Time flies when you’re having fun!  And yes, I mean every word of it!  This challenge was nothing less than fun and exciting and I definitely have learned a lot about exercise, nutrition, and myself.  When I first started this challenge, I was a novice at both reverse interval training and clean eating but throughout the past 40 days, I am confident to say that I have a pretty good grasp on both.  I welcome anyone who is starting either one of these programs to read and learn about my experience and to reach out for advice at any time.


Clean Eating in Retrospect:
Clean Eating is more of a lifestyle change than a measurable diet.  When I first started this challenge, I believed that statement as much as I believed that walking in toning shoes will get you killer glutes (that’s a BIG fail to any of you out there that takes that statement as fact).  However, looking at the nutrition part of this challenge in retrospect, I strongly believe that this is more of a lifestyle change and have made a commitment to myself (which those of you who know me, know I am true to my word) to adapt my diet accordingly.

Overall, throughout the past 40 days, I have felt healthier.  I have not felt bloated; I have gotten more restful sleep; I have minimized cravings; I have more energy and motivation; and ultimately, I feel like my body is working internally stronger (psychological concept I know, but believe it or not, it’s true).

Insanity in Retrospect:
This is the first program or challenge that I have completed in which its definition equally signifies its title….Insanity is nothing less than INSANE!  For being someone who is very hard on themselves physically and constantly pushes through muscle soreness, weakness, and fatigue, I didn’t expect this program to be a challenge throughout it’s duration.  To my surprise, I was constantly fatigued, and even though the workouts became routine and my muscles started becoming used to the movements, I was able to continue to push myself and improve.  Out of all the different circuit trainings I have completed in the past, so far this has provided the most results in the shortest amount of time.  Now would I do it again? Eh…maybe for a week or two or maybe a month, but probably not a 40 or a 60 day challenge.  This workout is very hard on ones joints and tendons, which can limit speed, range of motion, and duration of the individual exercises.  After awhile, this pain adds up and it makes you start to dread the Insanity workout.  Would I suggest this program to others?  DEFINITELY!  This is a great program to really get someone into shape and there are constant tests that provide one with measurable results.  For the average individual, this will give them the drive to keep going and making efforts to improve their physical health.

Suggestions when doing a program like Insanity:
-          Find a good recovery formula to drink throughout the duration of your workout (I use Xtend by Scivation)
-          Have a snack that has a good balance of carbs, protein, and fat 30-60 minutes before your workout (I’ve made my own protein bars, recipes listed in previous blog posts)
-          Drink plenty of water throughout the day and at least 16-20 oz prior to and an additional 16-20 oz throughout the duration of the workout
-          Have a high protein snack within 15-30 minutes post workout (I normally bring a protein shake to the gym and drink it on my way home)
-          Insanity Specific: I did all the recovery exercises barefoot.  This helped me work on my balance, gave my feet a rest, and taught me the importance of being aware of where your feet are and to land softly.

Insanity: Final Results:
In order to get maximum visual results while still getting enough nutrition to complete the fit test, I tightened up the slow carb diet and cut out the majority of my spices (minimize sodium) and liquids.

Food Journal:  Breakfast (6:30am) – 1 egg, 4 egg whites, 28 oz coffee; Snack (10:30am) – 1/8 c almonds, 1/8 c sunflower seeds; Lunch (12:15) – 6 oz chicken, 2 sips of water; Snack (3pm) – Specimen Bar
Weigh in (4:15pm): 2% decrease in weight since last weigh in (1/30); 4% decrease in weight since first weigh in (1/2)

Fit Test (4:30pm):
1.       Switch Kicks – improve from 132 to 146 (11% increase)
                  First Fit test improvement 84 to 146 (74% increase)
2.       Power Jacks – improve from 64 to 70 (9% increase)
                            First Fit test Improvement 52 to 70 (35% increase)
3.       Power Knees – improve from 115 to 123 (7% increase)
                            First Fit test improvement 93 to 123 (32% increase)
4.       Power Jumps – improve from 48 to 58 (21% increase)
                            First Fit test improvement 35 to 58 (66% increase)
5.       Globe Jumps – improve from 13 to 14 (8% increase)
                            First Fit test improvement 10 to 14 (40% increase)
6.       Suicide Jumps – improve from 22 to 25 (14% increase)
                            First Fit test improvement 18 to 25 (39% increase)
7.       Push-Up Jacks – improve from 45 to 53 (18% increase)
                            First Fit test improvement 28 to 53 (89% increase)
8.       Low Plank Oblique – improve from 86 to 101 (17% increase)
                 First Fit test improvement 61 to 101 (66% increase)

Results Picture (5:30):
                         
                      Front Before                                                 Side Before

                     
                     Front After                                                      Side After

2 comments:

  1. You looked sexier before. You had no flabe before and al that has happened is you have lost your curves imo. Great fit test results thouhg

    ReplyDelete